In addition to guidance and navigation with specialty medical services and other related care services, staff at the Center for Geriatric Medicine can also facilitate our patients’ access to affiliated senior services in the community. The following are just some of the programs and resources available to seniors in the Washington, D.C. region, and Providence associates can assist you or a loved one to participate in these programs.
Carroll Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Carroll Manor is our skilled nursing center that provides quality short-term and long-term medical, nursing, and rehabilitative care for older adults. All of the physicians at Providence Center for Geriatric Medicine provide attending physician services as well as selected outpatient procedures and some diagnostic tests on-site at Carroll Manor.
Behavior Health Services
The Seton House offers inpatient and outpatient age-related mental health services that address the changing needs of older adults with mental health concerns, memory problems, and adjustment to the changes in functioning that comes with age.
Senior Wellness Centers
Senior Wellness Centers are part of our core senior services. Whether you join Senior Connection at Providence or one of the Senior Wellness Centers in DC that are operated through the DC Office on Aging, we invite you to access all the programs and services and keep fit and healthy at any age!
Good Health at Every Age
Age is just a number! Providence understands that age is a fact of life, not a disease, which is why Senior Wellness Centers are part of our core services. Senior Wellness Centers in DC are one option for patients and their families. Operated through the DC Office on Aging, Senior Wellness Centers are a valuable, free resource for older residents across the district.
Congress Heights and Model Cities Senior Wellness Centers provide services to DC seniors through a partnership of the District of Columbia Office on Aging and Providence Hospital’s Wellness Institute.
The philosophy of the center is to promote wellness as an optimum state of health and well-being, achieved through disease prevention and health promotion. We believe that the key to wellness is identifying health risks and teaching the necessary lifestyle changes to reduce those risks. Therefore, the fitness and education programs are designed to assist members to improve and maintain their health.
The services offered at the centers promote healthy lifestyles to members to include mind, body and spirit. Membership is FREE to all District of Columbia residents who are 60 years of age and older. Services and activities include:
- Fitness and exercise classes (various levels offered to meet the needs of members)
- Health education lectures and seminars
- Health screenings
- Nutrition assessments and education (group and one-on-one sessions)
- Educational learning groups
- Consumerism focused lectures
- Computer training
- Book club
- Educational learning groups
- Bible study
- Sign language class
- Healthy cooking demonstrations
- Social activities (line dancing, trips, social gatherings)
- Arts & crafts
- Game room (pool, cards & more)
Visit a Senior Wellness Center
The Centers are open to members Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.Congress Heights Senior Wellness Center
3500 Martin Luther King, Jr. Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20032
(202) 563-7225Model Cities Senior Wellness Center1901 Evarts Street, NEWashington, DC 20018(202) 635-1900
Creating Life-long Connections for Health
Providence offers all seniors the opportunity to join our Senior Connection Program, a network of services specially designed to help seniors stay informed, keep active, and maintain good health.
The Senior Connection Program provides numerous resources and services to adults 60 years of age and older. Services include:
- Recreational Activities, including a Crafts Group and Walking Club
- Free non-emergency van service
- Health education lectures
- Preferred free parking
- Discounts on the personal emergency response system
- Discount in the Hospital’s Worlds Fare Cafeteria, Providence Dental Center, Wellington Pharmacy, Gift Shop, Wellness Institute, and Mammography Center
- Support Groups for Arthritis, Stroke, Alzheimer’s Caregivers, and more
- Weekly blood pressure screenings
- The Telecare Program, a telephone reassurance service provided to elderly and homebound clients in the metropolitan Washington community
If you are 60 years or older, we invite you to join Senior Connection. Your annual membership fee of $15.00 per individual or $20.00 per couple opens the door to priceless amounts of information, resources, referrals, and activities.
Contact the Senior Connection Office, located on the ground floor of Providence, at (202) 269-7041 for more information.
For More Information on Senior Health Physician Specialists
To make an appointment with one of our geriatric physicians, please contact: Center for Geriatric Medicine
1160 Varnum Street, NE
DePaul Professional Building, Suite 021
Washington, DC 20017
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30AM – 5:00PM