- Our Services
- Obstetrics - Maternity
Pregnancy and Birth are a new and exciting time in a woman’s life. Here at Providence Hospital, the Obstetrics and Maternal Health professionals understand the pregnancy and birthing process. When deciding where to give birth, you can count on Providence to provide you and your baby with advanced and compassionate care throughout your stay.
Prior to birth, Providence Hospital provides Childbirth Classes to provide the expectant mother, father and/or support person with the education, knowledge, and coping skills helpful in preparing for a safe, healthy and happy birth experience.
The two hour class meets once a week for 4 weeks. Class size is limited to 10 couples to encourage questions, discussion and participation. The class content includes:
- Anatomy and physiology related to pregnancy, labor, and delivery
- Relaxation and breathing techniques
- Pain relief during labor and delivery
- Complications of labor
- Cesarean birth information
- Tour of the Labor/Delivery/Recovery Unit and Mother/Baby Unit
- Initial appearance, procedures, and care of your newborn
- Maternal care after delivery
- Breast feeding and bottle feeding
Call the Parent Educator when you are at 20-25 weeks pregnant to schedule classes, for a registration form, and for more information at (202) 269-7355.
Providence Hospital offers a full range of inpatient and outpatient obstetrical services that cater to the health and wellness of mother and baby. These services include:
- Labor and Delivery (L&D) – From admission to birth, our licensed obstetrical nurses and physicians personally keep track of your progress and guide you through the entire process.
- Nursery - After your baby is born, he or she remains in the nursery for care and observation by our qualified nurses until he or she is stable and ready to return to your bedside.
- Postpartum (P/P) – After your baby is stable and leaves the nursery, he or she is roomed with you in order to foster an early bond and allow the mother the time to become acquainted with the baby's needs. At this stage the mother receives instruction on breastfeeding (if desired) and other aspects of newborn care.
At a delivery rate of more than 2,000 babies a year, generations of women continue to put their trust in Providence to be their hospital of choice for this memorable journey.
To obtain additional information about Obstetrics-Maternal Health and Childbirth Classes, or to schedule an appointment, call (202) 269- 7381.